All families deserve to experience hope, acceptance, and joy. Intuition Wellness Center’s team members integrate a wide range of approaches to supporting your child and family in striving toward their potential.
October 5 -11 is Mental Illness Awareness Week. My hope in this blog is to reduce stigma not only for the person who needs help but for their families as well. I have met many people who are afraid to seek help because of ‘what others might think’ or ‘what others might say.’ It is important to know that you are not alone and that you can get help. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, 1 in 4 American adults and 1 in 5 children will experience mental illness this year. My hope is that we as a community will make efforts to ensure that everyone feel comfortable seeking help. I have always believed that awareness is one of our greatest tools in effecting change. Awareness that you are not alone, awareness that you can reach out and awareness that you can receive help. Awareness is a first step in developing a plan to ensure that needs are being met and appropriate services are being delivered. Let me repeat, you are not alone and there are many community resources available if you or a loved one needs help.
Resources for Mental Illness
- The Southern Arizona Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness offers support, advocacy, resources and a sense of community. 6122 E. 22nd St Tucson, AZ 85711.
- SAMHC provided walk in assistance 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. 2502 N. Dodge blvd Tucson, AZ 85716.
- Crisis Response Center is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year and they provide on-site crisis intervention. 2802 E. District St Tucson, AZ 85714.
- 24 hours crisis line – 520-622-6000
There will be several events happening in and around Tucson for Mental Illness Awareness week and I encourage you to participate, advocate and seek help if you need it.
- Sunday, October 5th 9am to 12pm – Expo and Community Walk to Prevent Suicide at Reid Park 900 S. Randolph Way, Tucson, AZ 85716.
- Monday October 6th 5:30pm to 7pm – Meet me at Maynards 400 N. Toole, Tucson, AZ 85701. Resource table with community resources and information.
- October 7 -11th Community Partnership of Southern Arizona 15th Annual Community Health Art Show 2502 N. Dodge Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85716. Public reception Tuesday 9/7, 5pm to 6:30pm. Art Show hours October 8-10th 11am to 7pm.
- Wednesday October 8th 6pm to 7pm – Candlelight Vigil for Mental Illness Recovery and Understanding (National Day of Prayer) at Richard and Annette Bloch Center at Reid Park Survivors Plaza Tucson, AZ 85713.
Intuition Wellness Center works to reduce the stigma of mental illness by providing a safe place to discuss concerns and by educating our surrounding community and our clients. If you have a question about a diagnosis or your family needs help on their path to wellness, our clinicians are available to answer your questions and put you in touch with resources. Contact us at: 520-419-6636 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember you are not alone! Please reach out and ask for help if you or a loved one needs it.
Author: Grazi Martins, Licensed Clinical Social Worker